I know I’m not the only one who feels like 2018 has flown by! It feels like just yesterday that I was sitting in Miami on NYE 2017 watching fireworks on the beach. This year has been full of learning, travel, new ideas, and opportunities. I was able to reach so many of the goals that I had set for this year and adapted some along the way to fit with my ever-changing plans. Reflecting on 2018 is a great way to plan for 2019 – what worked (or didn’t work) well for you and what did you do in 2018 that helped you reach your long-term goals?
- Eyelash Extensions: In January, I got eyelash extensions for the first time and have been getting them filled in every 2-3 weeks since then! It may seem like such a small thing, but having eyelash extensions has made my makeup routine so much simpler. Mascara was always my favorite makeup product, but didn’t feel like I ever got my lashes as full as I wanted them to be, but didn’t want to mess with false lashes either. Having my eyelashes done makes me feel so much more put-together and now I regularly go out without any makeup!
- Miami: We returned home from a trip to Miami and Captiva Island in early January (we had left December 30)!
- New car: I ordered my new car in November 2017 and it finally arrived in February! I was so excited to go pick it up and loved the how they had it covered when I got there! You can see a vlog from that day here.
- Chicago: We spent a weekend up in Chicago (less than 3 hours from Indy!) in early March. We discovered our new (second) favorite restaurant, RPM Italian! We’re hoping to head back up early this year for another weekend getaway and visit in the summer when RPM On The Water opens!
- By Emily Smith: My party decor shop was in full swing this month and I finally ordered business cards! I opened my shop in February 2017 and worked on it full time that year as well as all of 2018. I continued to add more and more products and changed my photography style which led me to getting 30+ orders per day!
- Business Goals: I reached 2,000 sales in my party decor shop in April! I had just reached 1,000 in December 2017, so it was great to see how my hard work had paid off in increased orders.
- Photography: I really started learning more about photography in April! I taught myself everything through YouTube tutorials, blog posts, and a lot of trial and error with both shooting and editing in Lightroom. I had purchased my camera in September 2017 and was able to take some nice photos, but I didn’t really “know” the camera or how to edit. I took this photo of Cooper as one of my first “real” shots that I edited and love how it turned out!
- Las Vegas: We traveled to Las Vegas in May and were out there for Cinco de Mayo and the Kentucky Derby! Las Vegas is one of our favorite travel spots and go at least once a year. Here is part 1, part 2, and part 3 of the Las Vegas vlogs!
- Atlanta: We took a road trip to Hilton Head but made a stop in Atlanta along the way! I had never been to Atlanta and enjoyed our two days there. We got to see Hamilton, the CNN building tour, visit the Georgia Aquarium, eat at Callie’s Hot Little Biscuit for breakfast, and shop at Ponce City Market.
- Asheville: On our way home from Hilton Head, we stopped in Asheville to visit the Biltmore House. I had visited when I was 4 years old and couldn’t wait to see it as an adult! We took one of the guided tours, ate lunch on the grounds, explored the gardens, and stopped by the winery. I would love to visit again in the near future and spend some more time on the property and in town!
- My Golden Birthday and the beginning of Emily Smith Blog: I celebrated my golden birthday this year (26 on the 26th)! Blogging had been on my mind all year, but I never pulled the trigger. It was something I desperately wanted to do, but never felt like I had all of the right resources to start. I spent the month researching hosts, templates, fonts, blogging tips, etc. and told myself I was going to start the blog on my birthday. I’m so thankful that I took a leap of faith and got started when I did! You can read my first blog post here.
- New York: Jason took me to New York for my birthday! We went for Christmas the year before, but wanted to visit in the summer. We were also out there for the 4th of July and got to watch fireworks over the water! We visited the Top of the Rock, the Guggenheim, the Met, shopped along 5th ave, and ate at so many delicious restaurants.
- Surgery: I had my second endometriosis surgery on August 2 and spent the next week recovering. You can read about my surgery experience here.
- Photography Business: I did my first two photography sessions in August – a family lifestyle session and a lifestyle newborn session. After doing this shoot I fell in love with newborn photography and decided it was something I wanted to start offering! Since August I have done several newborn and fresh 48 sessions and am finishing up my photography website!
- Detroit: We went up to Detroit at the end of August and went to Bakersfield (our favorite restaurant), the Ron White comedy show, Belle Isle, the Detroit Institute of Art, and Greek Town Casino.
- Our First Anniversary: We celebrated our one year anniversary on September 30! It’s hard to believe we’ve been married for a full year! You can see some of my favorite wedding photos here.
- San Francisco: We were out in San Francisco during our anniversary and got to see all of the touristy sights – the Golden Gate Bridge, Fisherman’s Wharf, Alcatraz, Lombard Street, the Painted Ladies, etc. This was my first trip to California!
- Las Vegas: Aaaaand we’re back! We went back to Las Vegas in October 1. because we missed it and 2. to see the Conor vs. Khabib UFC fight! We went to the Neon Boneyard for the first time which was fun to see. We also had the best breakfast at the Paris restaurant Hexx.
- Magnolia Silobration: I had been to Waco in the spring of 2017 and wanted to come back for Silobration! Jason and I spent three days in Texas and loved every minute of it! You can see more photos from our trip here.
- Tulum: We celebrated Jason’s birthday in Tulum, Mexico this year! This was my first trip to Mexico and Tulum was the perfect spot. It’s the perfect mix between the jungle and beach!
- New bedroom furniture: We finally got a king size bed! We moved into our house in August 2017 and still have a few rooms to finish. I was so excited to get new bedroom furniture (a bed, mattress, nightstands, and mirrors) but still need a few more pieces on the other side of the room.
- Surgery #2: I had a second surgery right after Thanksgiving to try and correct some issues I had from the surgery in August. The problems are still on-going, but will update you all once I have more details!
- Christmas decor: Decorating for Christmas is one of my favorite things to do! Everything always feels so festive and cozy. You can see photos from our master bedroom, living room, and dining room in my recent blog posts!
- Prepping for 2019: I’ve really been working hard on planning for 2019! From business and personal goals to travel plans, I’m so excited to begin working on a fresh start!
I hope you enjoyed my 2018 recap! What were some of your favorite moments in 2018?